Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Scammers Scam Yahoo Email Account Information

I received the following email from a friend the other day.  As soon as I received it, I called her - even though the email indicated my friend was without her phone.  It went to voicemail, so I left her a message to call me.   Here's the email (I've replaced my friend's name with xxxxxx so as to protect her true identity):

Hope this urgent message finds you in good health. I am away in Nigeria on a short business trip, unfortunately for me I was robbed overnight, I am so confused right now, I do not know what to do or where to go,I did not bring my phone here, I have access to only emails. Please can you send me $3,500(USD). As soon as I get back I would refund it immediately. Please all I need you to do is to go to any Western Union outlet and send me the money before the bank here closes. Below are my details for the western union transfer.

Receivers name: Ixxxxx Wxxxxx
 
Address/location:  25 Nepa street, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria. 23401

Please use this Text Question and Answer below in sending the money;
Test Question : Who is the receiver ?
Test Answer: Ixxxxxx

As soon as its sent, send me a copy of the money transfer receipt or just write out the money transfer number and the senders name and address. Would be waiting.
 
Best Regards,

Several things in the email tipped me off to the fact that this was indeed a scam:  She had no business in Nigeria.  She always starts her emails with some sort of greeting  like "Hi Gang", etc.   I am always suspicious of ANYONE who suggests I use Western Union to send money.  The grammar and tone of the email is just NOT my friend's style.  She would never close an email with "Best Regards".

Several hours later my friend chatted me on Yahoo Messenger asking, begging and pleading for me to help her out.  I asked a few simple questions that only my friend would know.  The scammer did not pass the test of the simple questions.  So I knew my friend's email account had been phished.

Another hour or so later my friend called me to verify that her email account had been compromised and that she was on her way to the local Police Station to report it.   We do not know yet if any of her other friends or contacts actually fell for this and wired any money to this scammer, but beware, some will do ANYTHING to rob innocent people of their money including hi-jacking people's email accounts.

~Jennifer Fisher
Other places to find Me:
My Website
Myspace
Facebook
Youtube
Hubpages
Twitter
Download Success in 10 Steps
To YOUR Success

No comments: